I want to follow Sander van Vugt’s CKA course on a home linux box using virtualbox for controller/worker nodes.
This repo seems to contain the right goodies to start with: https://github.com/jeromeza/k8s_cka_vagrant
What Was The Investigation?
- cloned the upstream repos to my linux box
- realise I don’t have virtualbox installed. Install virtualbox with
dnf install virtualbox. Try to start virtualbox and receive a nice error:
; virtualbox WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module available for the current kernel (5.16.16-200.fc35.x86_64) or it failed to load. Please try load the kernel module by executing as root dnf install akmod-VirtualBox kernel-devel-5.16.16-200.fc35.x86_64 akmods --kernels 5.16.16-200.fc35.x86_64 && systemctl restart vboxdrv.service You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed. Qt WARNING: could not connect to display Qt FATAL: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb. zsh: IOT instruction (core dumped) virtualbox
- so I installed the kernel mod and loaded it, following the instructions for my kernel version
- wonder why networking won’t work, then read https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html#network_hostonly and see that the valid address ranges for host-only networks have changed. Forked upstream, updated and sent in a PR.
vagrant upfails with a yum error. Read https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/troubleshooting/known-issues#keyexpired. Fork the upstream github repo for sandervanvugt and patched the scripts.
- Finally, patched the README for the vagrantfile